- FAMRI Center
Janine Cataldo, PhD RN
Assistant Professor, Department of Physiological Nursing - Gerontology
Dr. Cataldo's research and clinical foci include: the impact of tobacco industry activities on older smokers and geriatric science; stigma, symptom burden, and quality of life among lung cancer patients; and use of virtual worlds as an intervention to decrease stigma and improve patient-client communication. Dr. Cataldo is a research nurse scientist with a specialty in gero-oncology who has spent over 10 years understanding factors involved in older adult smoking. In particular, she has examined the efficacy of smoking cessation interventions for older smokers and the influence of tobacco industry activity on the smoking behaviors of older smokers and on geriatric science. She developed a tool to measure perceived stigma in lung cancer patients and explored the impact of stigma on symptom severity and quality of life among lung cancer patients. Older smokers are seldom part of the discussion of marginalized groups of smokers.
Dr Cataldo is conducting research on a wide range of issues related to smokers who develop lung cancer. She developed the Cataldo Lung Cancer Stigma Scale (CLCSS), this scale is being used in studies in Australia, Korea, Norway, and Scotland. Dr. Cataldo has explored the severity of lung cancer stigma and its relationship with the severity of physical and psycho-social (i.e., anxiety, depression) symptoms and Quality of life. She is conducting an efficacy trial for a newly developed virtual world intervention to decrease lung cancer stigma and improve patient-clinician communication.
Dr. Cataldo brings a unique interdisciplinary perspective. As a mentor in our training program and one of our core lecturers, Dr. Cataldo is able to bring a focus on both geriatric and oncology issues, she is able to discuss the physical, emotional and social factors involved in both older adult smoking, and the experience of lung cancer. She has expertise in measuring these factors using both qualitative and quantitative methodology. She will mentor trainees with interest in older adult tobacco use, tobacco industry influence on geriatric science, lung cancer stigma, smoking stigma, and psychological symptom burden among lung cancer patients and smoking cessation for lung cancer patients.
University of Kentucky, BSN 1979-1981, Nursing
University of Cincinnati, MSN 1983-1984, Mental Health Nursing
New York University, PhD 1987-1989, Nursing Research
University of Pennsylvania, Fellowship, 1997-1998, Psych/Oncology
University of California, San Francisco, Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education, Fellowship 2006-2007, Tobacco Control
- Cataldo, J..K (1994). Hardiness and death attitudes: Predictors of depression in the institutionalized elderly. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 8(5), 326-3
- Foster, J.R. & Cataldo, J.K. (1994). Protection from clinical depression in medical long-term care facilities: Evidence for psychologic adaptation in cognitively intact patients. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 9,115-125.
- Cataldo, J.K.(2000) Never too late to quit. The Nurse Practitioner, 25(5), 116.
- Cataldo, J. K. (2001, Jan). The relationship of hardiness and depression to disability in the institutionalized elderly. Rehabilitation Nursing,26(1), 28-34.
- Cataldo J. & Talley, S. (2001, April). Helping our clients with smoking cessation. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 7 (1), 26-31
- Cataldo, J.K. (2001, June). The role of Advanced Practice Psychiatric Nurses in treating tobacco use and dependence. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 15(3), 107-119.
- Pasacreta, J. V., Cohen, S. S., and Cataldo, J.K. (2002 Jan - Feb). Recent events highlight importance of mental health services. Nursing Economist,20 (1), 139.
- Pasacreta, J.V., Jacobs, L. and Cataldo, J. K. (2002, Dec). Genetic testing for breast and ovarian cancer risk: The psychosocial issues. American Journal of Nursing, 102 (12), 40 – 47.
- Cataldo, J.,Cooley, M.., & Giarelli, E. (2002). Smoking and Cancer. In Jennings-Dozier, K. & Mahon, S. (Eds.) Cancer Prevention, early detection and control: A nursing perspective. Washington: Oncology Nursing Press. (pp. 227-337).
- Cataldo, J.(2003) Smoking and aging: Clinical implications Part I.: Health and Consequence. Gerontological Nursing, 29(9), 15-20.
- Cataldo, J.(2007) Smoking and aging: Clinical implications Part II: Breaking the barriers to care for the older smoker. Gerontological Nursing, 33(8), 32-41.
- Cataldo, J.K. & Malone, R.E. (2008) False promises: The tobacco industry, low-tar cigarettes, and older smokers. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society , 56(9), 1716-1723. PMCID in Process NHMSID 15103
- Prochaska, J., Fromont, S. Cataldo, J. (2009) Development of an evidence-based tobacco treatment curriculum for psychiatry training programs. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses’ Association 15(1), 24-3. PMCID 2706546
- Cataldo, J.K., Dubey, S., and Prochaska, J.J. (2010, In Press). Smoking cessation: An integral part of lung cancer treatment. Oncology.
- Cataldo, J.K. , Prochaska, J., & Glantz, S. (2010). Cigarette smoking is a risk factor for Alzheimer’s Disease: An analysis controlling for tobacco industry affiliation. Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 19(2), 465-480.PMCID in Process NIHMSID 151224
- Cataldo, J.K., Slaughter, R., Jahan, T.M., Pongquan, V.L., and Hwang, W. (January 2011). Measuring stigma in people with lung cancer: psychometric testing of the Cataldo Lung Cancer Stigma Scale. Oncology Nursing Forum, 38(1), 84-91
- Cataldo, J.K., Jahan, T.M.,and Pongquan, V.L.(2012) Lung cancer stigma, depression and quality of life among ever and never smokers. European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 16, 264-269. PMCID:PMC336080
- Illi,J., Miaskowski, C., Cooper, B., Levine, J., Dunn, L., West, C., Dodd, M., Dhruva, A., Paul, S., Baggott, C., Cataldo, J., Langford, D., Schmidt, B., and Aouizerat, B. (2012). Association between pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokine genes and a symptom cluster of pain, fatigue, sleep disturbance, and depression. Cytokine, 58, 3, 437-447.
- McCann, B., Miaskowski, C., Koetters, T., Baggott, C., West, C., Elboim, C., Abrams, G., Hamolsky, D., Dunn, L., Dhruva, A., Rugo, H., Dodd, M., Paul, S., Neuhaus, J., Cooper, B., Schmidt, B., Langford, D., Cataldo, J., and Aouizerat, B. (2012). Trajectories and predictors of symptom occurrence, severity, and distress in prostate cancer patients undergoing radiation therapy, Journal of Pain, 13(5), 425-437.
- Yerger, V.B., Cataldo, J.K., and Malone, R.E. (In review) Responses of older smokers and ex-smokers to evidence of tobacco industry targeting. Journal of Qualitative Health
- Hawk, M., Cataldo, J., Puntillo, K., Miaskowski, C. (2012) Blunt thoracic injury in older adults: application of Haddon's phase-factor matrix model.Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 38 14-29
- Miaskowski C, Cooper BA, Dhruva A, Dunn, L., Langford, D, Cataldo,J., Merriman, Baggott,et al: (2012) Evidence of Associations between Cytokine Genes and Subjective Reports of Sleep Disturbance in Oncology Patients and Their Family Caregivers. PLoS ONE 7:e40560,
- Cataldo, J.K., Paul, S., Cooper, B., Skerman, H., Alexander, K., Aouizerat, B., Blackman, V., Merriman, J., Dunn, L., Ritchie, C., Yates, P., Miaskowski, C. (2013). Differences in the symptom experience of older versus younger oncology ouptatients: a cross-sectional study. BMC Cancer. 2013;13(1):6B
- Cataldo, J.K. and Brodsky, J. (In Press) Lung Cancer Stigma, Anxiety, Depression, and Physical Symptom Severity. Oncology.
- Brown, C.G. and Cataldo J.K. (2013) Explorations of lung cancer stigma for female long term survivors. Nursing Inquiry. DOI: 10.1111/nin.1202
- Dunn, L., Aouizerat, B., Langford, D., Cooper, B., Dhruva, A., Cataldo, J., Baggott, C., Merriman, J., Dodd, M., West, C., Paul, S., Miaskowski, C. (2013) Cytokine gene variation is associated with depressive symptom trajectories in oncology patients and family caregivers. European Jounal of Oncology Nursing.
- Cataldo, J, Baggott, C. Dunn, L., Aouizerat, B., Langford, D., Cooper, B., Dhruva, A., Merriman, J., Dodd, M., West, C., Paul, S., Miaskowski, C. (In Review)A comparison of candidate cytokine gene variation associated with trait and state anxiety in oncology patients and their family caregivers before radiation therapy. Journal of Affective Disorders
- Zaharias, E., Cataldo, J., Mackin, L., Howie-Esquivel, J. (2013) Simple measures of function and symptoms in hospitalized heart failure patients predict short-term cardiac event-free survival. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing.