- FAMRI Center
Janice Tsoh, PhD
Associate Adjunct Professor
Research program focuses on smoking cessation treatment in special populations including Asian Americans, and clients in substance abuse treatment. She is interested in the use of social network and support in promoting utilization of and delivering evidence-based treatment in underserved populations. Dr. Janice Tsoh is an Associate Adjunct Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at UCSF. She is a licensed clinical psychologist who has specialized in behavioral medicine and health psychology. Her current research program focuses on nicotine dependence and depression, smoking cessation treatment in special populations, and health promotion in underserved Asian American communities. Dr. Tsoh has led or co-led seven smoking cessation clinical trials including the use of combining psychological and pharmacological treatment targeting smokers from both clinical settings and the community. She was a recipient of a 5-year K23 career development award funded by NIDA and has served as a principal investigator on three other studies targeting Chinese Americans. She currently serves as a Regional Research Director for the NCI-funded Asian American Network for Cancer Awareness, Research, and Training (AANCART), a network in 5 cities with high Asian American population density. She is a core faculty in three pre-doctoral and postdoctoral training programs at UCSF: the Clinical Psychology Training Program, the NIDA Fellowship Training Program in Substance Abuse Treatment and Services Research, and the NIMH program of the Community Academic Research and Training Alliance.
State University of New York, Binghamton, NY, BA, 1990, Psychology
University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, MA, 1993, Clinical Psychology
University of Mississippi/Veterans Affairs Med. Center, Jackson, MS, Residency, 1995, Clinical Psychology
University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, PhD, 1995, Clinical Psychology
University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, Postdoc, 1997, Cancer Prevention
University of California San Francisco, Postdoc, 1999, Substance Abuse
University of California San Francisco, Certificate, 2002, Clinical Research
- Tsoh JY, McClure JB, Skaar KL, Wetter D, Cinciripini PM, Prokhorov AV, Friedman K & Gritz ER (1997). Smoking Cessation 2: Components of effective interventions. Behavioral Medicine, 23, 15-27.
- Tsoh JY, Humfleet GL, Munoz R, Reus V, Hartz D, & Hall SM (2000). Development of depression following smoking cessation treatment. American Journal of Psychiatry, 157, 368-374.
- Tsoh JY, Lam JN, Delucchi K, & Hall SM (2003). Smoking and depression in Chinese Americans. American Journal of Medical Sciences, 326, 187-191.
- Tsoh JY, Hall SM (2004). Depression and smoking: from the Transtheoretical Model of change perspective. Addictive Behaviors.; 29(4):801-5.
- Cinciripini PM, Tsoh JY, Wetter DW, Lam C, De Moor C, Cinciripini L, Skaar K, Friedman K, Baile W, Anderson C, & Minna JD (2005). Combined effects of venlafaxine, nicotine replacement and brief counseling on smoking cessation. Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, 13,282-92.
- Schmitt EM, Tsoh JY, Dowling GA, Hall SM (2005). Older adults' and case managers' perceptions of smoking and smoking cessation. J Aging Health, 17(6): 717-33.
- Hall SM, Tsoh JY, Prochaska JJ, Eisendrath S, Rossi JS, Redding CA, Rosen AB, Meisner M, Humfleet GL, Gorecki JA (2006). Treatment for cigarette smoking among depressed mental health outpatients: A randomized clinical trial. Am J Public Health. 96(10): 1808-14. PMCID: 1586139
- Wong CC, Tsoh JY, Tong EK, Hom FB, Cooper B, Quan KP, Chow EA (2008). The Chinese Community Smoking Cessation Project: A community sensitive intervention trial. J Commun Health, 33(6), 363-73.
- Nguyen, TT, Liao Y, Gildengorin G, Tsoh J, Bui-Tong N, McPhee SJ (2008). Cardiovascular risk factors and knowledge of symptoms among Vietnamese Americans. J Gen Intern Med, 24(2):238-43. PMID: 19089498PMCID: 2628984
- Yamada H, Acton GS, Tsoh JY (2009). Differential item functioning of the English and Chinese versions of the Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence. Addictive Behaviors, 34(2): 125-33.
- Tong EK, Tang H, Tsoh J, Wong C, Chen MS (2009). Smoke-free policies among Asian-American women: Comparisons by education status. Am J Prev Med, 37(2 Suppl):S 144-50.
- Wong CC, Tong EK, Tsoh JY, Chen MJ., Hom FB (2009). Patterns of tobacco-use behavior among Chinese smokers with medical conditions. J Commun Health [Epub ahead of print]. PMCID: PMC2778788
- Nguyen TT, Le G, Nguyen T, Le K, Lai K, Gildengorin G, Tsoh J, Bui-Tong N, McPhee SJ. (2009) Breast cancer screening among Vietnamese Americans: a randomized controlled trial of lay health worker outreach. Am J Prev Med, 37(4):306-13. PMCID: PMC Journal - In Process.
- Liao Y, Tsoh J, Chen R, Foo MA, Garvin CC, Grigg-Saito D, Liang S, , McPhee SJ , Nguyen TT, Tran JH, Giles WH (2010). Decreases in Smoking Prevalence in Asian Communities Served by the Racial and Ethnic Approaches to Community Health (REACH) Project. Am J Public Health [Epub ahead of print].
- Tsoh JY, Kohn MA, Gerbert B (2010). Promoting smoking cessation in pregnancy with video doctor plus provider cueing: A randomized trial. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand, 89(4), 515-23. PMCID: PMC Journal - In Process.